What is 3G?
3G is third generation of mobile networks. It was
launched back in 2003, and gave us much quicker data transfer speeds
than 2G. With 3G, UK mobile owners can do things like browsing the web,
playing online games and making video calls.
What is 4G?
is the fourth generation of mobile networks, and it gives UK mobile
owners superfast internet access (around 5 times faster than 3G). With
4G you can make clearer calls, stream music and video content without
any buffering, and quickly download apps and other content.
How can I check for mobile coverage?
You can use our coverage checker to see what the signal is like in your area.
How can I improve my Mobile Signal?
First of all, use the iD coverage checker to
see if your area is covered - especially if you're having trouble
getting a steady signal. The coverage checker will give a good idea of
the level of service you can expect in a particular area.
Next, there are a few steps you can follow to try to boost your signal:
- Try to move location. If the fault is indoors, sometimes switching rooms can help!
- Turn your phone off for 10 seconds and restart the device. Yes, this sometimes really does help.
- Try your SIM card in another device (please note the device will need to be unlocked to the iD network).
all the above fails, you can tell iD you're experiencing coverage
issues by logging a coverage fault. They'll investigate the cause of the
fault and try to get you up and running as soon as possible.
note: iD are unable to guarantee service indoors in a particular
property due to varying factors in each architectural build.
How do I report a coverage fault?
Firstly, take all the steps outlined in “How can I improve my mobile signal?”, which is the question above this one.
If these steps don't help, and you still think there's an issue, please call iD on 0333 003 7777.
The more information you have the easier it is for the team to isolate the fault and put a fix in place.
You can make a list:
- The location of the fault.
- Details of whether you ever received coverage in the area you are reporting a fault in.
- The date and time you noticed the fault.
- Examples of any call or SMS failure within the last 24hrs.
- Details of friends, family or neighbours experiencing the same fault.
- Details of any construction or maintenance work taking place nearby.
How can I get 4G on my phone?
All of iD plans come with superfast 4G included. To make full use of the 4G service you'll need the following:
- A device which has 4G capability
- To be in an area with 4G coverage